Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ballet Babies




I'm on a mission to find things that make Marek happy. The boy is having a hard time with his BIG emotions... Unfortunately these big emotions tend to be angry ones. So when my friend mentioned that she was trying out a new ballet class for her little girl, I figured I would tag along with my crew. The night before I packed enough pb&j sandwiches to feed an army, a half dozen of their favorite sweet potato muffins and a few sippy cups of water. I knew it wouldn't go well if any of the boys were hangry, so best to just nip that problem in the bud. We walked sans stroller to the subway, all four of us (Me, Marek, Charlie and LoLo) and met our friends at the United Palace Theater for class. The boys enjoyed running around on the floor while we waited for the teacher to arrive. I had low expectations. In all honesty, I have failed the boys on the "structured play" front, they are not accustomed to it at all. Other than story-time at the library, the boys "free play" as I'm too unorganized to actually do anything remotely planned. Apparently SOME studies say this is okay... helps with creativity (all disorganized and uncrafty moms rejoice!). However, the boys really surprised me with how willing they were to follow directions  (as well as any wild three year old can anyway). Marek kept leaping up to do moves before it was his turn and Charlie kept leaping up to do moves when it was Marek's turn.. .but overall it went SO well. At one point Marek turned around and whispered to me "This is so much fun Mommy!" and that sealed the ever lovin deal. While I'm not a quest to give my kids everything they want, I DO want to see them be happy people. And it has been so hard to get a smile on that kids face.

Of course once we got home I accidentally found the zebra puzzle piece before he did and we were right back into the regular llama-drama hour long scream fest. BUT later on right before bed, we talked about how much he enjoyed ballet class and asked me if he can do "lots more classes", and I felt hopeful. Maybe this is something we can bond over and talk about... even after a tough day of tantrums and not getting our way we can talk about how much fun we have when we dance. We have started having dance parties and he is a pro at them. Kid is a regular Isadora Duncan and I'm excited to find out what other activities bring him joy. Because he really could use a lot more joy right now. Charlie really liked dance class too, maybe not as enthusiastically as Marek, but he enjoyed moving and running and jumping. He also really liked the sweet potato muffins I gave them before class. THATS what he can't stop talking about (soooo my child). They say it gets easier when they are four... 5 months til I get my happy babies back. Right? Right?????

No comments:

Post a Comment